DOGSAFE® Canine First Aid and CPR Courses
The goal of our DOGSAFE® courses is to teach you the necessary knowledge and skills which will empower you to take positive action in the event of any emergency involving a dog. Canine first aid is different than human first aid in that dogs cannot tell us what hurts and there is no ambulance to call for help. Prevention of injury is the key, however, accidents do happen. What you do between when an injury happens and when veterinary care is available will greatly affect a dog’s chances of a full recovery.
DOGSAFE® Canine First Aid and CPR Course 101
Do you know how to recognize when your pet is choking? Would you be able to clean & wrap an injured body part? Whether you are a pet professional of a pet owner, understanding Canine First Aid & CPR can be a crucial skill. Come and lean the ins and outs of pet emergencies and what you can do to respond properly. You might just save a life!
DATE: Next Course Dates Coming Soon
COST: $154 per person (Includes class materials)
AGES: 14+, 10+ if parent is also registered
# of STUDENTS: 12 per class
This course is designed to teach you the knowledge and skills to deal with a sick or injured dog until veterinary care is available. The topics are covered in-depth so that students have a thorough understanding of the principles of canine first aid. Since this is a very comprehensive course, and 8 hour day, we need your full attention and dogs do not come to class.
In DOGSAFE® 101, You Will Learn How to:
- prevent common injuries
- conduct a head to tail assessment
- tell if your dog is experiencing pain
- recognize 4 signs of illness or injury
- respond to any emergency in 4 easy steps
- safely approach an injured dog
- take your dog’s vital signs and 3 other health tests
- perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- perform artificial respiration
- remove an airway obstruction (choking)
- prevent and treat for shock
- control deadly bleeding
- deal with penetrating objects
- prevent and treat eye injuries
- prevent and treat abdominal wounds
- recognize risk factors and respond to bloat
- prevent and respond to drowning
- assess and respond to bone and joint injuries
- prevent and respond to poisonings
- prevent and respond to frostbite and hypothermia
- prevent and respond to heatstroke
- treat minor burns
- treat various wounds
DOGSAFE® Course Manual Included
DOGSAFE®: Everything Your Dog Wants You to Know in an Emergency, by DOGSAFE® creator, Michelle Sevigny, is included FREE with DOGSAFE® 101 course registration ($18.95 retail value). This 116-page, comprehensive manual includes 56 real-life photographs and is spiral bound for durability. The course training and reference manual is reviewed by veterinarians, including Dr. James Lawson, Chief Animal Health Officer of the BC SPCA.
The course manual also includes:
- a Vital Signs Checklist for keeping track of your dog’s essential information
- a Disaster Preparedness Checklist
- an Essential Phone Numbers list for easy access in emergencies
- a K9 Incident Report Form to ensure accurate info during veterinary follow-ups
- a multiple choice & true/false quiz to test your knowledge.
Hands-on Experience With Canine CPR Manikins
As an authorized instructor, I have invested in your canine first aid education by providing canine CPR manikin(s). The canine CPR manikins are vital educational tools that are considerably more life-like than using stuffed toys. Our manikins have working pulse and lungs enabling you to actually perform canine CPR, a technique that is not possible to conduct on live dogs.The DOGSAFE® course goes beyond just watching an instructor demonstrate CPR and provides opportunities for hands-on practice with canine CPR manikin(s) – an essential component to effective learning.